Monday, January 5, 2009

What Does it mean to be 'CHHANTYAL'.

I add someone stranger to my friend list just because he/she has tag as 'chhantyal' on Facebook. I search on Google and if found anything, I love to read about. Sometimes when we got online we talk a lot. We talk about native village, some relatives, education etc. Why we do that? Threre must be more than just 'chhantyal' tag which pulls us together in this teach-world.

We are lost Peagon in the group of Crows. We are now all over the world. Someone is working as labourer in Japan. His brother is studyig in US. One is applying for PR in Europe, other are struggling in Australia. Some relatives are working for survival in hilly and mountain region of western Nepal. Enthuaistic youths are being trained and fighting in the fierce battlegrounds of the world. Obviously some___may be majority, are going to gulf countries dreaming posterity. In this story of survival, we have changed or original culture and tradition. We have tested, applied and adopted a flexible lifestyle. And this type of lifestyle, in some cases, is searching its backbone i.e. identity.
I sometimes ask myself ' Why I write my last name as 'chhantyal', which most of people don't know?'. It is to prove legally that I m my father's son and my grandfather's grandson. In my college, most of my friends call me 'Mr. Chhantyal' ( Interestingly majority of them don't know my name) not because I have distenctive identity, but because I am alone in that college.

Most of we are alone in our institution, workplace and community. So, it is blessing for us to be 'chhantyal' tag after our name. Only in that tag, our identity is hidden. Our love and respect to fellow person is manifested. Our culture and tradition is 'preserved', rather than in our daily lives. Sometimes metaphysics ( and assumptions) works better than the real physical world.
Copyright: Nar Kumar Chhantyal

No comments:

Post a Comment